St Hilda’s, Danby
The present church was built in the 15th century but one of the earliest churches on this site was built sometime between 1089 (when the Domesday Book was written with no mention of the church) and 1141, when Robert de Brus II of Castleton Castle, who gave the church and rights to the Prior of Guisborough, died. However, there is evidence of an earlier Saxon building and the patroness herself, St Hilda, was from Anglo Saxon nobility.
A number of restorations have taken place. That in 1777 resulted in the removal of the nave pillars, the lowering of the roof and the removal of the spire from the tower. Galleries were constructed along the North side (1798 –later removed) and west side (1808). In 1829 the oak pews were removed and replaced with deal box-pews. The restoration of 1903, in memory of Canon Atkinson, replaced the pillars and the oak pews, going some way to returning the church to its original Early English appearance.