The Church of St Mary’s, Moorsholm was built in 1892. Next door to the church is the tiny Church Hall built 28 years before, in 1864, when the village expanded with the arrival of ironstone miners. From 1847, following the discovery of a major seam of iron ore running from the cliffs at Loftus to the Eston Hills, men flocked to East Cleveland.
One of the greatest beneficiaries of this ironstone mining boom was local land owner John Thomas Wharton of Skelton Castle, who at his sole cost built the Church as a Chapel of Ease to the nearby parish of Skelton. Two other local land owners, David Thomas Petch Esq. and Robert Pinkney Petch Esq. also of Skelton, and who owned the land where the Church was built, gave that site for the purpose of erecting a Church and laying out a burial ground. In 1902 Robert Pinkney Petch Esq. also gifted the Church clock and a second bell for the tower in commemoration of the coronation of His Majesty King Edward VII August 9th 1902.
To mark the Centenary of St Mary’s in 1992, parishioners raised funds to install a stained glass memorial in the East window of the Church by the stained glass designer Sep Waugh of York.